AFD Petroleum is currently seeking a Controller for our Fairbanks, AK. location. The Controller shall hold responsibility for managing the day to day financial operations of Alaska Fuel Distributors and subsidiaries. Will provide accurate information to the Owner and Executive team, including analysis, budgeting, forecasting and preparing financial reports. The Controller will be responsible for directing and managing the company’s accounting functions, including establishing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures as well as the preparation of financial statements and reporting to top management and externally. The Controller also maintains the company's accounting systems and leads in the implementation of changes as required.
Here is what we need from you:
• Manage the accounting operations including the review of journal entries, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and monthly statutory reporting of state taxes.
• ABL cash positioning analysis and reporting. This includes being a key liaison with our banking partners.
• Monthly reconciliation of physical inventory against general ledger balances.
• On line approvals of electronic fund transfers, set up by AP, as required.
• Establish and monitor internal controls to ensure that accounting activities are in accordance with established legal regulatory and company policies and procedures.
• Prepare, analyze and present monthly, operating results for each department/ branch.
• Work with operations to analyze, improve and control current processes which impact customer quality and influence internal operating efficiency.
• Provide strategic analysis as required to drive improved decision making.
• Work with external and internal auditors, in conjunction with the CFO.
• Prepare and present financial information for periodic and ad-hoc internal and external reports.
• Manage research and development program for accounting requirements.
• Implementation and management of internal controls with respect to financial policies, processes and procedures.
• Provide guidance on all accounting matters including financial systems, record keeping, analysis, and reporting.
• Work with the CFO and accounting team to coordinate the year-end audit and preparation of audited financial statements.
• Assist with customer and government audits.
• Responsible for the preparation of monthly financial statements and external reporting to financial institutions, ensuring that all reporting requirements are met.
• All other financial reporting to various companies and government agencies.
• Generation of reports of performance against budgets.
• With input from the CFO, responsible for the formulation of accounting policies, procedures and controls.
• Hiring, training, mentoring and supervising accounting staff.
• Conduct probationary and yearly performance reviews on all direct reports.
• Other related duties as required or assigned.
Preferred Requirements, Education and Experience:
• Post-secondary degree in Business/Accounting, with a professional accounting designation preferred, however not required.
• Extensive experience and knowledge of all aspects of operational and corporate accounting and financial management.
• Thorough knowledge of all relevant Federal, State and local requirements regarding financial records, 401K, taxation.
• Proficient communication, interpersonal and organizational skills are vital to the role.
• Experience overseeing audits performed by external audit firms.
• Financial analysis, budgeting and some strategic planning experience.
• Experience in state fuel taxes are considered an asset.
• Knowledge of accounting principles, practices and applications.
• Knowledge of budget preparation and analysis techniques
• Advanced knowledge of MS Office and Excel.
• Management and / or supervisory experience.
• Good project management skills and the ability to motivate teams to produce quality work within tight timeframes.
• Professional written and verbal communication skills.
• Good problem solving skills and the ability to make the necessary decisions to move forward the work at hand.
• Able to work efficiently as a part of a team as well as independently.
• High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
• Able to work well under pressure and meet set deadlines.
• Good organizational, time management and prioritizing skills.
• Travel will be required (<10%)
• Ability to attend and conduct presentations
• Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals
• Overtime as required
• Lifting or moving up to 20lbs may be required
Here is what is in it for you:
A fair wage that is commensurate with skills and experience
Solid benefit plan
An exciting and different culture full of great people who work hard and have a ton of laughs while doing it
AFD Petroleum Ltd. offers its team members competitive wages, paid training programs & educational reimbursement, future growth opportunities and an exceptional benefits package.
Get your career moving in the right direction and apply today.