As the Junior Accountant you would be responsible for completing AFD’s monthly, quarterly, and yearly fuel tax returns in a timely fashion, as well as keeping the company current with all changes to legislation and tax rates. You would also be responsible for ensuring that all customer exemption requirements are in place and properly updated in our SAGE ERP system. The Junior Account would also be responsible for assisting the Controller and Assistant Controller as needed, as well as providing ongoing support for AFD’s Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, and Billing departments.
• Gathering, compiling, and reconciling all data required to complete all fuel tax filings and refund requests; data mining, manipulation, and discrepancy investigation is required
• Processing return remittance payment requests and ensuring that refund claims are processed and accounted for in the general ledger
• Keeping company records up to date on current fuel tax rates for all jurisdictions, including Alberta, British Colombia, Yukon, NWT, Saskatchewan, Canada.
• Researching all applicable fuel tax changes and advising relevant departments on tax rate changes and requirements
• Reconciling all fuel tax related general ledger accounts and investigating discrepancies
• Responding to all fuel tax audit requests and information requests, including pulling purchase and sales data and physical records, as needed
• Keeping all customer accounts updated and current with all applicable tax exemption information and entering regional and product specific exceptions to customer accounts
• Gathering, compiling, and reconciling data for monthly provincial PST returns and quarterly provincial Environmental Handling Fee (EHC) returns
• Other duties may include, but not be limited to:
•Assisting the Billing Department with invoicing responsibilities and providing ongoing support at month end
•Assisting A/P with invoice verification, data entry, and facilitating vendor payments
•Assisting A/R with cash application and daily bank deposits, balancing A/R batches, and investigating customer account issues.
• Assisting the Controller, Assistant Controller, and other internal accounting stakeholders with day to day operations and ad hoc reporting
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related business degree
• 2+ years of accounting, finance, or tax-related experience
• Experience dealing with government regulatory matters would be beneficial
• Sage 300 ERP experience is an asset
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills is a must
• Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Office, and Word
AFD Petroleum Ltd. offers its team members competitive wages, paid training programs & educational reimbursement, future growth opportunities and an exceptional benefits package.
Get your career moving in the right direction and apply today.